Thoughts I thought: Red Sox win another series
- Even though Wednesday’s 7-5 loss to Detroit stung a bit, especially after being up 1-0 early, the Sox still took 2 out of 3 from another good playoff contender. They are currently 4 games behind the Angels and 3.5 games behind the Athletics.
- The Sox were able to beat Justin Verlander for the second time this season Tuesday night. They might have gotten some help from Mother Nature Tuesday when the umpires called the game after 5 1/3 innings because of heavy rain (Detroit had the bases loaded with one out in the 5th).
- The big headline coming out of the series is the injury to Josh Beckett Tuesday night. WIll his back spasms put him on the DL? Bobby Valentine said Wednesday that he does not think Beckett will have to take another trip to the disabled list, but we should be wary of this since the communication within the Red Sox all season has been disabled itself.
- Adrian Gonzalez continues to swing a hot bat, going 4-9 and raising his batting average to .300. This is the first time Gonzalez has managed to reach the .300 mark since April 27th. Hopefully he continues to have a nice second half.
- Some good news and bad news on David Ortiz. The bad news? Although Ortiz was eligible to come off the disabled list on Wednesday, he was not activated because he said he still had some pain in his foot earlier this week. The good news? Ortiz said he woke up Wednesday and for the first time said he was feeling “pain free”.
- Even though the Rangers come to town for 3 on Monday, the Sox could do some damage in the next 11 days, with 4 game series against the Twins and the Indians, with the Twins coming to Fenway Thursday night.